Spelt and Protein Scones
A protein-filled alternative to a usually carbohydrate dominated treat. Your taste buds won't believe this recipe is low-sugar, not to mention packed with protein. Try mixing it up with savoury flavours.
1½ cups plain spelt flour
½ cup Just Natural or Smooth Vanilla Clean Lean Protein
4 tsp baking powder
30g butter or vegan butter
1 tsp coconut sugar
¾ cup milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced)
- Sieve flour, protein and baking powder into a bowl. Rub butter into sifted ingredients until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add coconut sugar and milk and combine until mixture is soft but not sticky (mixing with hands is best but a spatula will also work)
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and knead into shape until just smooth. Try not to overwork the mixture or the scones could become tough. Flatten dough out to about 4 cm and use a round cutter to cut scones starting from the centre and working your way out. Cut slightly higher rounds from left over dough.
- Place rounds on a lined oven tray with sides just touching. Brush tops with a little milk before placing them in the oven for 12-15 mins or until golden.
Serve with jam and cream or ricotta.
The information provided in this article is intended for educational purposes only and is general advice. It should not, nor is it intended to be, relied on as a substitute for individual medical advice or care. If the contents of this, or any other of the blogs in this series raises any concerns or questions regarding your health, please consult a qualified healthcare practitioner.