Plant-Based Protein Burger
Get a tissue, because after reading this recipe you will be drooling uncontrollably!
Made with Clean Lean Protein, these burger patties are full of protein, nutrients and most of all flavour. Try it out on your family for dinner... there will be no complaining because it is so delicious!
For the burger patty:
- 6 portobello mushrooms, chopped roughly into small pieces
- 400g tinned cannellini beans
- 4 x soft (pitted) medjool dates
- 200g over-cooked brown rice (cooled)
- 2 scoops Nuzest Clean Lean Protein Just Natural
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons hulled tahini
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tsp lemon/lime zest
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- Small bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
For the rest of the burger:
- 6 x seeded wholemeal burger buns (or GF buns for a GF option)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 can sliced beetroot
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 6 slices vegan cheese (optional)
- Spinach or lettuce leaves
- Homemade tomato ketchup
- Add a splash of extra virgin olive oil to a large pan and heat the mushrooms and thyme on medium heat, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Fry the mushrooms until their liquid has evaporated and they are slightly browned and then turn the pan off and transfer the mushrooms to a bowl to cool.
- Drain the cannellini beans and blitz them in a food processor with the dates, garlic, parsley, tahini and tamari, pulsing until the mixture is relatively smooth.
- Transfer the bean mix to a large mixing bowl and add the rice, protein, lemon zest and mushrooms. Mix until combined.
- Cover the mixture and leave to settle in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 230C and prepare to get messy!
- Using your hands, divide the mixture into 6 portions and shape into your burger patties. Place the patties onto a lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until brown. If you like cheese, place a slice of vegan cheese on top of the patty for the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Cut the buns in half and toast them lightly whilst preparing your burger toppings.
- Smear ketchup on both sides of the bun and fill with all ingredients.