Matcha Protein Muffins
The ultimate antioxidant hit! These muffins are not only fluffy and moist, but they have extra goodness from the almighty matcha powder! Gluten free, vegan and guilt free! An awesome snack for when you are on the go, or just relaxing with a cup of tea. Recipe and picture from Nicky Skinner @nicky.skinner
1 Tbsp flax meal
3 Tbsp filtered water
2 mashed bananas
1/2 cup cashew butter
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup almond milk
1 Tbsp buckwheat flour
1 Tbsp tapioca flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp matcha powder (optional)
400g tin of coconut cream
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp tapioca flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tray with liners or grease with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl combine flax meal and water and set aside.
- In a food processor, place bananas, cashew butter, maple syrup and almond milk and process to combine.
- Add flax meal, protein powder, buckwheat, tapioca, baking soda and extra matcha powder if using. Pulse to combine again.
- Remove blade and transfer mixture into the muffins tins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until tops are golden and bounce back when lightly pressed.
- To make icing, open tin of coconut cream and scoop out the firm cream (leaving the liquid to use in smoothies) into a bowl.
- Add maple syrup and tapioca flour and then whip with an electric beater until whipped cream consistency (will take 3-4 minutes).
- Once the muffins have completely cooled, ice with the coconut cream icing.
Enjoy straight away, or store for 2 days in the fridge (to keep the icing from melting off!).
The information provided in this article is intended for educational purposes only and is general advice. It should not, nor is it intended to be, relied on as a substitute for individual medical advice or care. If the contents of this, or any other of the blogs in this series raises any concerns or questions regarding your health, please consult a qualified healthcare practitioner.